All that glitters may not be gold but I don’t think any of us can deny its irresistable lure. There’s something decadent about wearing it from head to toe and just revelling in the soft glow of warm, golden light. It’s very fancy.
I’ve wanted to put a picture like this together from the moment I saw Gos’ gorgeous Lesina sandals at the newest round of FaMESHed because, goodness, look at them. It’s no secret that I have a weakness for shiny things, pretty trinkets and doodads, but I do try to keep it classy when class is the aim. 😉
Styling, for me, isn’t just about wearing a thing I like anymore, though. I’m always looking for cohesion. Bringing different elements together from different corners of the grid is something that satisfies me beyond measure but .. let me share a little bit of my process with you here:
Portia Pexington’s Styling Formula (sort of)
Step One: Concept
– This is one of the more difficult parts to describe. Sometimes it’s a pair of shoes that inspires me (as it is here) or jewellery that I’ve found and just adore. Sometimes it’s a flying gingerbread cookie. Whatever it is, though, I start with this basic idea and work my way out.
Step Two: Working it Out
– Moving out from the basic concept is likewise difficult to explain because it’s very subjective. The basic idea, though, is if I’m starting with shoes I’ll determine what style of clothing works best (long or short dress, slacks or shorts or leggings, etc) and what sort of pose I’ll want to use if the style is going to end up blogged here. If I’m starting with jewellery I tend to look at hair first then work down to a neckline that shows my shiny things to advantage.
Step Three: Relevance
– This goes double for blog posts and not just for promotional purposes. I work hard to keep my avatar current and when it comes time to write a post for Mask and Mien, I like to show items from at least a couple of current shopping events or, at the very least, one new release from a creator I admire or something that ties directly into RL events. This is how I find new designers myself and if my basic styling doesn’t have one or two things that fit into this category, I try to work something into my scene if at all possible.
Step Four: Posing
– I didn’t understand the importance of poses until after I spent some time in the SL fashion world but, really, a good pose is just as important as the right pair of shoes or hair that doesn’t clip into your forehead. As a model, the way you walk and pose is your primary form of communication with your audience; are you presenting a confident image? Do you want to show your sex appeal or just let loose and be silly? From a more practical standpoint, the pose should relate back to the concept and theme of your styling: if you want to show off your new shoes, your feet need to be the focus of the shot.
Step Five: Frame It/Accessorize
– It’s taken me a long time to realize that the sets I tend to build for my blog pictures are always MUCH TOO LARGE. If you’re zooming in for a tight shot (I hit ctrl+0 about five times) then it doesn’t matter how beautifully detailed your scene is. Style first; pose second; scene third. Once I have this set up, I like to take a quick snapshot and look at the thumbnail. Is it too cluttered and/or weird? Does it -need- anything? This is where I decide to add extra jewellery, for example, if I have a hand or a wrist that looks bare or where I decide if adding makeup or detailed nail polish is going to help or hinder my shot. In the picture above, I added my favourite ring from (Yummy)’s Snowflake Rings gacha. I also added some lights to the floor and window behind me for effect and some lovely curtains from the Loft to add a bit of colour that is *gasp* quite similar to my avatar’s lipstick.
This is what I mean when I say that I like to bring everything together in a way that makes sense and, yes, why sometimes it takes me a while to put a post together.
It’s worth it, I think.
~ Credits ~
Skin Appliers: Lara Hurley-Diana Rose Pale *Catwa Appliers* ~ Lara Hurley ~ New @ Uber (until December 23rd)
Head: CATWA HEAD Annie ~ Catwa Clip
Eyes: IKON Hope Eyes – Quicksilver ~ Ikon Innovia
Mesh Body: Maitreya Mesh Body – Lara ~ Onyx LeShelle
Mesh Hands: Slink Avatar Enhancement Hands – Elegant1 ~ Siddean Munro
Nail Appliers: Veechi – Glitter Beach Nails [maitreya] ~ Aiubrey Snoodle
Dress: Foxes – Maitreya -Glamorous -Champagne ~ Tyr Rozenblum ~ NEW @ Collabor88 (until January 6th, 2017)
Shoes: [Gos] Lesina Sandals – Collection – [maitreya fit] ~ Gospel Voom ~ NEW @ FaMESHed (until December 27th)
Ring: (Yummy) Snowflake Rings – Marquise – Diamond RARE ~ Polyester Partridge ~ Gacha Item ~ NEW @ The Arcade (until December 31st)
Necklace & Earrings: LaGyo_Noelle statement Set – Gold ~ Gyorgyna Larnia ~ NEW @ Collabor88 (until January 6th, 2017)
Pose: [LA] Shoes Structure Multipose ~ Evangeline Cortes (Marketplace Store)
Orb 1: .AiShA. Light Ball White ~ Amandamir ~ NEW @ We ❤ Role Play (until December 31st)
Orbs 2 & 3: :MoonAmore: FrozenXmas/ ORBs Gold ~ Psyqueen ~ Gacha Item ~ NEW @ The Arcade (until December 31st)
Prefab: (RageWorks) Classical White ~ Ragedesign
Curtains: The Loft – Claryon Curtains Taupe ~ Nardya Rousselot
Lights: Botanical – Decorative Light Set ~ Kriss Lehmann